Replace sausage with additional veggies to make vegetarian
- 1lb fresh spinach, chopped
- 9oz sausage
- 1-1/2 cup onions or leeks
- 18oz shredded russet potatoes
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup cream
- 3oz gruyere
- 1oz parmesan
- Wilt spinach in a 10in skillet and set aside to drain.
- Cook sausage until browned if using cooked links or until pink is gone if using bulk and set aside.
- Cook onions for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Cook potatoes in a single layer without moving for 10 minutes. Flip and repeat.
- Take skillet off-heat and top potatoes with spinach, sausage and onion. Whisk 5-6 and pour over skillet. Top with 7-8 and transfer to the top third of a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Serve.
Chicken can be substituted with other cooked fillings. To substitute ground meat, cook for 5 minutes after onions and drain fat off-heat.
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1tsp cumin
- 2 cups salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4tb water
- 4 6in corn tortillas, quartered
- Meat from 2-1/2lb chicken, about 4 cups
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapenos
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- Cook onion for 5 minutes in a 10in skillet. Add 2-3 for 1 minute. Take off-heat.
- Mix in 4-6. Fold in 7-9. Return to heat for 3 minutes, top with cheese and transfer to a 500 degree oven for 5 minutes. Top with 11-12 and serve.
Optional: omit dough and serve alongside potatoes or rice
- 9in pie dough
- 1 egg + 2tb water
- 4tb butter
- 4 carrots, sliced 1/4in
- 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4in
- 1 onion
- 1tsp thyme
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6tb flour
- 2 cups broth
- 1-1/2 boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/2 cup peas
- 4tb cream
- 3tb parsley
- 1tb sherry
- Roll dough out to 11in between 2 sheets of parchment, fold edges back 1/2in and crimp. Cut 4 2in x 1/2in oval vents in center of dough and chill for 15 minutes.
- Brush with egg and bake in the middle of a 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook 3-6 in a 10in skillet for 5 minutes. Add 7-8 for 1 minute. Add flour for 2 minutes. Whisk in broth, add chicken, cover and simmer for 10-20 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes.
- Rest chicken for 5-10 minutes and shred into 2in pieces. Add back to skillet along with 12-15, top with crust and bake for 10 minutes. rest for 10 minutes and serve.