- 390g flour
- 1tb sugar
- 1tb baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 8tb butter, cut into 1/2in pieces and chilled
- 4tb shortening, cut into 1/2tb pieces and chilled
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk, or whole milk mixed with 1tb lemon juice and rested for 10 minutes
- 1-1/2lb pork sausage
- 1/2tb pepper
- 1tsp ground fennel
- 1tsp ground sage
- 4tb stock
- 2-3/4 cups whole milk
- Process 360g flour and 2-5 briefly to combine. Pulse in 6-7. Stir in buttermilk.
- Roll into a 9in circle 3/4in thick and, without twisting, cut out 3in biscuits. Re-roll scraps and repeat.
- Bake biscuits in the middle of a 450 degree oven for 5 minutes. lower heat to 400 degrees and bake for 12-15 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook sausage in a 12in skillet until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Add remaining 30g/4tb flour and 10-12 and cook for 2-3 minutes. Deglaze with stock, slowly whisk in milk and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve.