- 1tsp gelatin
- 1 cup + 1tb lemon juice
- 843g sugar
- 1-1/4tsp salt
- 4 eggs + 6 yolks + 8 whites
- 20tb butter, 8tb cut into 1/2in pieces and frozen and 12tb cut into 1tb pieces and softened
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 255g cake flour
- 4tsp baking powder
- 4tb water
- 1tb corn syrup
- Add gelatin to 1tb lemon juice and set aside. Heat all but 1tb remaining lemon juice, 297g sugar and 1/4tsp salt until sugar dissolves, temper eggs and yolks and cook on med-low heat, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until temperature is 170 degrees.
- Take off-heat and stir in gelatin mixture. Stir in frozen butter. Strain mixture, cover with plastic wrap flush to surface and chill for 4 hours – 1 day.
- Combine 6 whites with 7-8 and set aside. Mix 9-10 with remaining salt and sugar. Beat in butter 1tb at a time on low speed until pea-sized. Beat in all but 1/2 cup milk mixture, increase speed to med-high for 1 minute, reduce speed to med-low and beat in remaining milk mixture.
- Bake in 2 9in cake tins at 350 degrees for 23-25 minutes. Cool.
- Cook remaining whites, sugar and lemon juice with 11-12 in a double boiler until mixture reaches 160 degrees. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form, then increase speed to high and beat until mixture cools to room temperature and stiff peaks form.
- Halve cakes, spread 1 cup curd between layers, leaving a 1/2in border, and spread frosting over cake. Serve.