For 2-2.5 lb chicken or pork
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup broth
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3tb balsamic vinegar
- 3tb mustard
- Cook onion for 5 minutes. Add broth and reduce by two-thirds. Add remaining ingredients and reduce to 1 cup. Serve.
- 1/2tsp saffron
- 12oz boneless chicken thighs, cut into thirds
- 8oz spanish chorizo, halved and cut into 1/4in pieces
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 9 cloves garlic
- 1-1/4 cup paella rice
- 1 14-1/2oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2-1/4 cups chicken stock
- 4tb white wine
- 12 mussels
- 12oz 21-25 count shrimp
- 1/2 cup peas
- Garlic aioli
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Combine saffron with 1tb of boiling water and set aside. Cook chicken in a 12in skillet for about 6 minutes and set aside.
- Cook 3-5 for 5 minutes. Add 6-7 for 1 minute. Add tomatoes for 3 minutes or until darkened/thickened. Add 9-10 and saffron mixture, bring to a simmer, add back chicken and cover for 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add 11-12, cover and cook 5-8 minutes or until shrimp is pink and mussels have opened.
- Add peas, rest off-heat for 5 minutes and serve with 14-15.
For fish-only version, replace chicken/chorizo with 1lb cod cut into 1in pieces/12 clams and chicken stock with fish stock. Omit browning in first step and add clams along with mussels and shrimp.