Makes 6in x 7.5in cake
- 6 eggs + 11 whites
- 1/2tsp cream of tartar
- 550g sugar
- 240g powdered sugar
- 190g nut flour
- 85g flour
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 35tb butter, 2 cups cut into 1tb pieces and softened and 3tb melted and cooled
- 1tb vanilla extract
- 510g berries
- 34g freeze-dried berries, ground
- Beat 6 egg whites, cream of tartar and 50g sugar to soft peaks. Set aside.
- Beat whole eggs, 100g sugar and powdered sugar to ribbon stage, about 3-5 minutes. Sift and fold 5-7 into mixture. Fold in egg white mixture. Fold in melted butter and 1/2tb vanilla.
- Divide batter into two 18in x 13in baking sheets topped with greased parchment and bake at 425 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Let cool. Cake can be wrapped and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Bring 10-11 and 100g sugar to a boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until reduced by a fourth. Let cool. Can be made 3 days ahead.
- Cook remaining 5 egg whites and 300g sugar in a double-boiler, stirring constantly until mixture reaches 160 degrees. Beat until mixture has cooled and reaches med-stiff peaks. Beat in softened butter 1 or 2 pieces at a time. Set aside 1-1/2 cups, beat in 63g of fruit mixture and beat in remaining 1/2tb vanilla into remaining buttercream.
- Halve cakes. Layer with fruit buttercream and remaining fruit mixture. Decorate top layer with vanilla buttercream. Serve.