Makes 18 large biscuits
- 20oz thick-cut bacon
- 750g flour
- 50g sugar
- 2tb baking powder
- 1/2tb baking soda
- 1tsp salt
- 1lb butter, cut into 1/2in cubes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cook bacon and set aside. Reserve 2tb of fat. Chop into 1/2in pieces once cooled.
- Whisk 2-6. Cut in butter until pieces are pea-sized. Add bacon and reserved fat, buttermilk and 1/2 cup maple syrup and lightly mix.
- Transfer dough to clean surface. Press down with palm heels, gather into a mound and repeat 2-4 times. Press down until 1in thick and cut out rounds. Flatten out scraps and repeat. Freeze for at least 2 hours or up to 1 month.
- Do not thaw. Brush with egg and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Brush with remaining 3/4 cup maple syrup and bake for 5 minutes. Best served same day.