- 453g sugar
- 226g cake flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 3/4tsp salt
- 16tb butter, cut into 1tb pieces
- 4 eggs + 4 whites
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups toasted pecans, 1-1/2 cups chopped and 1/2 cup whole
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2tsp maple extract
- Mix 297g sugar and 2-4. Add butter one piece at a time and mix until butter is in pea-sized pieces. Whisk whole eggs with 7-8, pour in half of mixture and beat until fluffy. Repeat with remaining mixture. Mix in chopped pecans.
- Bake in 3 8in cake tins at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, rotating halfway. Cool in tins for 10 minutes. Cool on rack for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, reduce 4tb maple syrup by half, stir in whole pecans and pour out on a foil-lined baking sheet. Cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk remaining 156g sugar and 1/2 cup maple sugar, egg whites and maple extract in a double-boiler. Beat on high heat until stiff peaks form, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat and continue beating until thick and glossy, about 8-10 minutes.
- Spread 1 cup frosting each evenly over 2 cake rounds. Stack and top with third cake round. Spread remaining frosting over cake and top with candied pecans. Serve.