- 1/2 cup water OR 4tb olive oil + 1/2 cup white wine
- 8oz bacon
- 3 cloves garlic OR 1 clove garlic
- 3 eggs + 1 yolk OR 3 eggs
- 2-1/2oz pecorino romano OR 1-1/2oz parmesan + 1/2oz pecorino romano
- 1tsp pepper
- 1lb pasta
- Simmer water and bacon together for 8 minutes in a 10in skillet until water evaporates. Lower heat and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until bacon browns and renders fat. Add garlic for 1 minute. Strain and set aside; OR place large bowl in 200 degree oven to keep warm. Cook oil and bacon together for 8 minutes. Add wine and simmer until reduced, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and set aside.
- Mix 1tb bacon fat with 4-6 and set aside; OR mix 3-6 and set aside.
- Cook pasta in 2 quarts water. Reserve 1 cup cooking water and drain. Whisk 1/2 cup water into cheese-egg mixture. Toss with pasta along with bacon mixture. Toss occasionally for 2-4 minutes until sauce thickens, adding additional cooking water as needed; OR cook pasta in 4 quarts water. Reserve 1/2 cup water and drain. Remove bowl from oven and toss pasta with cheese-egg mixture and bacon mixture. Add cooking water as necessary. Serve.