- 1lb navy beans
- 1-1/2 gallons water
- 3tb + 1tsp salt
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 whole cloves
- 1-1/2lb smoked ham hocks
- 8oz russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4in pieces
- 1/2tsp pepper
- 1tb cider vinegar
- Soak beans, 1 gallon of water and 3tb salt for 8-24 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Cook 4-5 and remaining salt for 10 minutes. Add garlic for 1 minute. Set aside.
- Stick cloves into ham hocks and add along with remaining water and beans. Simmer partially covered for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add back veggies along with potatoes and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat, shred ham hocks and add back along with 10-11 and mash beans 8-10 times to thicken slightly. Serve.