- 297g sugar
- 120g cake flour
- 3/4tsp salt
- 8 to 9 egg whites, or 1-1/4 cups
- 1-1/4tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2tb vanilla extract
- 2tb espresso powder or instant coffee
- 8tb butter
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 3tb milk
- Sift 99g sugar into flour and sift mixture 4 times. Set aside.
- Beat 3-4 until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat to soft peaks. Beat in remaining sugar in 4 additions and beat to stiff peaks. Sift sugar-flour mixture into whites and fold in. Fold in 1/2tsp vanilla and 1tb espresso or coffee powder.
- Pour batter into a 10in tube pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Cool on pan upside-down on a rack for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, beat butter with remaining salt and espresso or coffee powder. Beat in 9-10 and remaining vanilla. Remove cake from pan and frost. Serve.