- 4lb 1-1/2in flanken-style short ribs, cut into 2-bone sections
- 12oz shiitake mushrooms, stems chopped and caps sliced
- 1 bunch scallions, whites and greens separated
- 1in ginger, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 2 cups broth
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sake
- 4tb brown sugar
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8oz noodles
- Sear ribs and set aside. Remove all but 1tb fat and cook mushroom stems, scallion whites and 4-5 for 2 minutes. Add 6-11, bring to a simmer, add ribs in a single layer, cover and transfer to a 325 degree oven for 2-1/2 hours.
- Set ribs aside. Strain and discard solids from liquid. Skim fat, add enough broth to make 1-1/4 cups if necessary, add to ribs and chill for at least 3 hours and up to 2 days.
- Cover ribs and liquid and roast at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Set aside and reserve 1/2 cup liquid.
- Cook mushroom caps for 3 minutes. Add reserved liquid and cook for 30 seconds. Take off-heat and add to ribs along with scallions. Toss with noodles and serve.