- 2 cups navy beans
- 1tsp baking soda
- Zest of half a lemon, peeled into strips and bruised
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4tb red onion, finely diced
- 2tb carrot, finely diced
- 2tb celery, finely diced
- 1tb chives
- 1tb parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Soak and chill 1-2 in 6 cups of water for 24 hours.
- Drain, rinse and cover with unsalted water by 2in. Add 3-5 and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. make sure beans are always covered by at least 1in. Salt and rest for 3-24 hours.
- Meanwhile, blanch 6-8 and set aside.
- Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid and discarding zest, thyme and garlic. Mash 1/2 cup beans with 2tb cooking liquid. Bring beans, paste and 1 cup cooking liquid to a simmer. Add blanched veggies and simmer for 2 minutes. Take off-heat and add 9-10. drizzle with oil and serve.