- 4lb chicken, breasts separated and remaining in 2in pieces OR 8 cups chicken broth
- If using whole chicken: 1 onion + 1 bay leaf
- If using broth: 1-1/2lb boneless chicken breast, halved lengthwise
- 3 lemons, juiced and zest peeled into 12 3in strips
- 2 sprigs + 2tsp dill
- 2tsp coriander seeds
- 1tsp peppercorns
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 cup long-grain rice, unrinsed
- 2 eggs + 2 yolks
- If using whole chicken: Brown breasts skin-side down for 5 minutes and set aside. Cook onion for 5 minutes and set aside separate from breasts. Brown remaining chopped chicken pieces in 2 batches for 5 minutes. Add back chicken pieces and onion, cover and cook on low for 20 minutes. Add breasts, bay leaf, 2tsp salt and 9 cups boiling water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain and defat liquid and shred breast.
- Bring broth, lemon zest, dill sprigs, 6-9 to a boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat, add breasts if not using whole chicken, and set aside covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove and shred breasts if not using whole chicken. Process 1 cup drained rice with 6tb lemon juice and eggs. Add chicken back to pot, bring to a simmer, remove from heat and add back rice-egg mixture. Add chopped dill and serve with any remaining lemon juice.