- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 vanilla beans, seeds and pods separated
- 4 cups pitted Bing or Rainer cherries + 2 cups chopped + 1 cup sliced
- 2 cups creme fraiche
- 5tb lemon juice
- 4tb honey
- 1-1/4 cup butter
- 6 cups cream
- 9in x 5in brioche loaf
- 12 yolks
- Cook 2 cups sugar and vanilla pods with 4 cups water until sugar dissolves. Cover and set aside until cool; discard pods.
- Process 2 cups pitted cherries with 4 cups of vanilla syrup and strain. Whisk in creme fraiche, 4tb lemon juice and a couple pinches of salt. Chill, proceed according to machine directions and freeze for 2 hours.
- Toss remaining pitted cherries with seeds from one vanilla pod and honey. Roast at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
- While cherries are roasting, blend chopped cherries with 4tb water and set aside. Melt 1 cup butter and add 2 cups sugar and remaining lemon juice; cook for 5-7 minutes or until the color of copper. Add puree and cook for 1 minute. Take off-heat and add 1 cup cream and a couple pinches of salt.
- Slice 1/2in off both ends of loaf and set aside for another use. Slice loaf into 1in pieces, trim off crusts and halve. Mix yolks with remaining sugar, vanilla seeds and a couple pinches of salt and dredge bread. Soak bread for 5 minutes in remaining cream. In batches, fry in remaining butter for 1-2 minutes on each side. Store in a 200 degree oven for 5 minutes to dry out. Top with hot caramel and roasted cherries. Serve with sherbet topped with sliced cherries.
- White peaches/nectarines: 4 fruits for sherbet, 2 cups chopped for caramel, 6 fruit quartered for roasting (increase time to 10-15 minutes), 2 fruits sliced for garnish.
- Black/red plums: 12 fruits for sherbet, 2 cups chopped for caramel, 8 fruits halved for roasting (increase time to 10-15 minutes), 2 fruits sliced for garnish.