- 120g flour
- 1/4tsp salt
- 2tb sugar
- 10tb butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1lb apples, sliced 1/8in thick
- 3tb brown sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2tb maple syrup
- Whisk 1-2 with 1tb sugar. Mix in 6tb butter until texture resembles cornmeal (a few larger pieces are okay). Drizzle in 1 egg, mix with fork, knead smooth, form disk, wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Melt remaining 4tb butter with vanilla pod and half of seeds. Cook on medium heat until browned, about 5-8 minutes. Discard pod and set aside.
- Roll dough out to a 14in x 10in square about 1/8in thick and transfer to a baking sheet. Top with apples, leaving a 1-1/2in border. Brush apples with butter mixture and top with brown sugar. Turn edges over apples, brush with remaining egg beaten with 1tsp water and sprinkle with remaining 1tb sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
- Beat 9-10 and remaining vanilla seeds to stiff peaks. Serve with tart.