- 1lb dried navy beans
- 5tsp salt
- 6oz salt pork, cut into 3 pieces
- 1 onion, halved
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2tb brown sugar
- 1tb soy sauce
- 2tsp mustard powder
- 1/2tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Soak beans in 2 quarts water and 1-1/2tb salt overnight. Alternatively, bring to a boil, remove from heat and cover for 1 hour. Drain.
- Cover all ingredients with 4 cups of water, or enough to cover by 1/2in, and bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours, checking and stirring halfway; add water if liquid does not cover beans.
- Remove lid and bake for 1 hour.
- Rest pot with lid on for 5 minutes. Remove salt pork, onion and bay leaf. Shred and add back salt pork, discarding onion and bay leaf. Rest with lid off for 10-15 minutes, stirring halfway. Serve.