- 4 eggs, separated
- 1-3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 18oz butter, 1lb cubed and softened and 2oz melted and cooled
- 7tsp nut liquor
- 7tsp espresso
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3oz nuts (match with liquor), 1-1/4oz ground and remaining left whole
- 14tb cake flour
- 4tb sugar
- 4tb water
- Whisk egg whites and 1 cup superfine sugar in a double-boiler until temperature reaches 160. Take off-heat and beat until cooled and stiff peaks form. Beat in cubed butter 1tb at a time. Add 2tsp each liquor and espresso and beat until color lightens, about 3-5 minutes. Leave at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, beat egg yolks and remaining 3/4 cup superfine sugar in a double boiler. Take off-heat, add vanilla and beat until quadrupled in volume. Whisk in ground nuts and flour. Take 4tb of batter aside, fold in melted butter, and fold mixture back into batter. Pour into a parchment-lined 15in x 10in jelly roll pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool completely in pan.
- Meanwhile, heat 9-10 and remaining 5tsp each liquor and espresso until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Soak cake with syrup and top with 1/2 cup frosting. Roll into a log and chill for 20 minutes. Apply a thin layer of frosting to outside of roll and chill for 20 minutes. Apply remaining frosting and chill 20 minutes. Top with whole nuts and serve.