- 7 eggs, 1 of them separated
- 400g caster sugar
- 540g flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1tb dark rum
- 21tb butter
- Pinch of salt
- 10g yeast
- Whisk 3 eggs and 100g sugar. Whisk in 40g flour for about 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Heat milk until beginning to simmer and remove from heat. Temper eggs with 2/3 of milk. Pour mixture into pot, place on low heat and whisk for 3-4 minutes.
- Take off-heat, mix with rum and allow to cool. Cover surface with plastic and refrigerate.
- Hand mix 6-7 with remaining sugar. Add 3 eggs and yolk and mix. Add remaining flour and yeast and mix thoroughly for 2 minutes. Knead smooth, wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- Halve dough. Knead for 1 minute, roll out 1/4in thick, cut out a 9in circle and place in a 9in cake tin. Spread custard, leaving a 1/2in border, and top with remaining half of dough.
- Mix egg white with 1tb water and brush top of cake. Use a fork to mark surface in a crisscross pattern. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.