- 11-1/4oz flour
- 10-1/5oz sugar
- 1/2tb baking powder
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 1-1/4tsp salt
- 28tb butter, cut into 1tb pieces and softened
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 1tb vanilla extract
- 14oz brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
- 10oz powdered sugar
- Mix 1-4 and 3/4tsp salt and beat in 16tb butter 1 piece at a time on low speed until pieces are pea-sized. Mix 7-8 and 2tsp vanilla and beat in half of mixture on med-high speed. Beat in remaining mixture.
- Bake in 2 9in cake tins in the middle of a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and transfer to rack for 1 hour.
- Heat 8tb butter, brown sugar and remaining 1/2tsp salt until beginning to simmer, about 4-8 minutes. Add cream and bring back to a simmer. Take off-heat and mix in remaining 1tsp vanilla.
- Beat in powdered sugar on low speed. Raise speed to medium and beat for 5 minutes. Add remaining butter 1 piece at a time and set aside.
- Spread 3/4 cup frosting over cake round. top with second round, spread remaining frosting and serve.