- 3lb mussels
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 strip lemon zest
- 1lb new potatoes, 3/4-1in in diameter
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 1/2 cup parsley
- Steam 1-5. Discard shells, strain liquid and reserve 1/2 cup.
- Meanwhile, cover potatoes with salted water, bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Cut into quarters.
- Toss potatoes, mussels and reserved liquid with 7-8 and saffron aioli (see below) and serve at room temperature.
- 1/2tb saffron
- 1tb boiling water
- 3 cloves garlic
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 2tb lemon juice
- 3/4 pure olive oil OR half extra-virgin and half canola oil
- Rest 1-2 for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Crush 3-4 to make a paste. Process with yolk and 1tb lemon juice to combine. With processor running, add oil a few drops at a time. Add remaining 1tb lemon juice and saffron mixture.